How to Make Easter Bunny Cupcakes with Italian Buttercream Frosting
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
These cupcakes use the simple vanilla cupcake recipe that I use for all my other cupcakes, except this time, I used Italian buttercream for the icing. Italian buttercream is fluffer and less sweet than a traditional buttercream, so after using it in my daughter’s birthday cake, I wanted to try it on a cupcake.
When making these cupcakes, I chose to use metal cupcake liners as opposed to paper ones, which makes the cupcakes a bit better and make removing them from the cupcake pans easier. Decorating these cupcakes is a bit easier than my mermaid cupcakes as all I had to use was an Easter bunny cupcake decorating kit, instead of having to make all the fondant decorations myself. Doing this makes it a bit easier for kids to decorate these cupcakes, so I’d recommend these as the perfect cupcake to decorate with your kids. After baking and decorating, I like to send the cupcakes to friends and family in sets of 4 in a special small cardboard box with a ribbon on top.
Easter Bunny Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and pale with a stand mixer or by hand.
- Whisk together the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add in the vanilla and eggs ⅓ at a time, making sure to beat in between each addition.
- In another medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients ⅓ at a time into the stand mixer bowl, alternating with ⅓ of the milk, mixing between each addition, along with the sour cream.
- Mix the batter together until combined.
- Prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Using a large batter scoop, scoop the cupcake batter into the cupcake pan.
- Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes.
- While cupcakes are cooling make buttercream frosting. Add the butter to the bowl of a stand kitchen mixer and beat for 5 minutes until doubled in volume.
- Gradually add the sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beating between each addition.
- Gradually add vanilla and milk. Beat on high 3 minutes, until combined.
- Frost cupcakes with buttercream icing using a jumbo-size round tip. Top with Wilton bunny ears and tails decorating kit.