How to make an easy and delicious homemade vanilla cake glaze!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Unless I’m in a time crunch, I usually prefer to make my baked good recipes totally from scratch. Especially when it comes to my family’s favorites like my signature homemade bundt cakes. But that doesn’t mean that I always like to make intricate or super time- consuming recipes. As a busy parent and food photographer I don’t always have a lot of time to spare. Most of the time I need recipes that are simple, easy to make, and sure to come out delicious.
That’s where easy recipes like my Vanilla Cake Glaze come into play. This recipe is made totally from scratch but it only requires a handful of tools and ingredients to whip up. Plus, it only takes a couple of minutes from start to finish. This vanilla cake glaze can be quickly and easily mixed up while waiting for a homemade bundt cake to cool completely or to add some quick, homemade pep to a store- bought cake. Whatever you use this vanilla glaze for, you’ll be so glad you gave it a try!
To make an easy vanilla cake glaze all you need is some milk, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, a whisk, and a mixing bowl. All you have to do is just whip the milk and vanilla together, then whisk in the powdered sugar until you reach the desired glaze consistency.
Glaze- Making Equipment
As I promised, this recipe only requires the use of a couple of kitchen tools to make. The only tools you need to make this easy homemade vanilla cake glaze are:
Vanilla Glaze Ingredients
Wanna talk about simple and easy? Now you only need 3 ingredients to mix together to create this flawless vanilla glaze:
How to Whip Up an Easy Homemade Vanilla Glaze
I know that by now you’re getting excited and this glaze- making process is super quick and easy so let’s get right to it.
- First, in a glass mixing bowl, whip together the milk and vanilla using a blending whisk.
- Then, add the powdered sugar into the milk mixture and whisk together until you reach the desired glaze consistency.
- Finally, drizzle the homemade vanilla glaze over the bundt cake.
Storing Leftover Vanilla Glaze
Once you let your homemade vanilla glaze form a thin crust layer on the bundt cake or other baked good, the glaze will stay good for the life of the pastry that it is used on. However, since it is milk- based, the vanilla glaze needs to remain refrigerated on its own.
- Pour any leftover glaze into an airtight container to keep it from drying out and then store it in the refrigerator.
- Refrigerated vanilla cake glaze will stay good for up to 1 week.
- Before using the glaze again, remove it from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature.
- All baked goods need to be completely cool before pouring glaze on them. If you try to glaze pastries that are still warm the glaze will not stick, it will only slide off the pastry.
- If you need to thicken the glaze just add a little more powdered sugar until it reaches the desired consistency.
- To thin the glaze, just add a little bit more milk.
- After pouring the vanilla glaze on baked goods, allow them to sit until the glaze forms a thin crust layer. This can take up to 2 hours at room temperature.
- Allow glazed sweets to dry completely before wrapping in plastic wrap and store them in a cool, dark place.
More glaze for bundt cakes
Serving Up Homemade Vanilla Cake Glaze
I usually use my vanilla glaze on my homemade bundt cakes but it can be used for any home baked treat that you want to glaze! It can even be whipped up to add a quick homemade touch to an uniced store- bought cake or pastry. You can also use this homemade vanilla cake glaze on other baked goods such as:
- Coffee cake
- Cinnamon rolls
- Turnover pies
- Any other homemade pastries