How to make homemade giant brioche buns that are soft, delicious, and delightfully comforting.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Ever thought about having a gourmet burger experience right in your own kitchen? Ok, so maybe “burger” is not exactly what you think of when you hear “gourmet” but hear me out! A good burger is one of the best comfort foods out there. They are almost too good sometimes. To me, they always seem to be even better when they are homemade. So why not make those homemade burgers even better by making homemade giant brioche buns to match?! These brioche buns taste way fresher and come out way softer when made at home versus the store-bought buns!
I will tell you upfront that making these buns is absolutely worth the time. They take homemade burgers and sandwiches to the next level and make swoon-worthy bread bowls during cold months. Any meal with these homemade brioche buns will have your tastebuds thanking you from the very first bite. There are a few key steps to keep in mind during the making and baking process but I will cover everything for you! Just follow along while I fill you in on how to make these delightful brioche buns so they come out to be their softest and most flavorful.
Necessary Equipment for Homemade Giant Brioche Buns
There are a few tool necessities needed for proper brioche bun rising and baking. I will start by going over all of these tools below, including a few helpful notes on why those particular tools are needed for success. Some of these are specifically needed for the rising stage which is critical for making sure the homemade brioche buns come out soft and tasty.
- Baking sheet
- Silicone mat or parchment paper
- KitchenAid mixer
- Glass mixing bowls
- Kitchen towels
- Food wrap
- Bash n’ chop cutter – to get equal bun portion sizes
- Heat mat – to keep dough at the right temperature for rising
- Silicone brushes
Note: This particular heating mat is pretty neat because it is easily rolled up and stored away in a cabinet or pantry.
Ingredients for Yummy, Buttery Brioche Buns
I know you are probably getting excited but before we go over how to make them, we have to first gather the ingredients. It is important to pay attention to specific ingredient temperatures for a smooth and easy process.
For Brioche dough:
- ¾ cup lukewarm milk
- 2 ½ tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 3 ¼ cups bread flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. room temperature unsalted butter
For bun glaze:
Toppings (optional but delicious):
How to Make Giant Brioche Buns
I always get so giddy when it is time to start making the dough. I think it is so fun and knowing how good the buns turn out makes the process even better to me. To make sure that the buns come out their very best (and softest), this recipe starts by using the Tangzhong method. Tangzhong is an asian technique to make a water roux that makes the homemade bread super soft and fluffy.
Start by making the Tangzhong:
- First, combine bread flour, milk, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Continue whisking while cooking until mixture is smooth and thick.
- Then, remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
Now it’s time to make the brioche bun dough:
- Start by whisking together the warm milk, sugar, and yeast in a glass mixing bowl. Then cover the yeast mixture with food wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer, combine bread flour and salt together.
- Next, use a paddle attachment and low speed to slowly mix the yeast mixture into the flour and salt.
- After the mixtures are combined completely, add in Tangzhong and mix.
- Add in the egg and egg yolk and continue mixing on low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Then, swap the stand mixer from the paddle to the hook attachment and start mixing on low speed, adding in the room temperature butter a third at a time.
- Continue kneading on low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Next, transfer the dough to a greased glass bowl. Cover it first with a kitchen towel and then with food wrap.
- The kitchen towel helps absorb the moisture while the food wrap helps maintain warm temperature for proper dough rising.
- Then, to rise the dough, place the glass bowl onto the heating mat for about 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- After the dough has risen, it’s time for the fun part: you get to punch the dough! Yes, punch it!
- Lightly flour a surface and place the dough onto it. Using the bash n’ chop cutter, divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Then, form the portions into balls and transfer to a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.
- Cover the dough balls with another baking sheet and set back on the heating mat to let rise for one more hour.
Now we get to start baking!
- First, preheat the oven to 375°F. While it is preheating, make the bun glaze.
- To make the glaze just mix water and egg together in a small bowl.
- Then, brush the egg glaze onto the dough portions.
- Bake the brioche buns for 15-18 minutes.
- After baking, brush the buns with the remaining butter.
- If desired, go ahead and sprinkle the poppy and sesame seeds onto the buns.
- Finally, transfer the giant brioche buns to a wire cooling rack and let them cool completely, about 1 hour.
- It is essential to let the buns cool completely, about 1 full hour, otherwise the bun texture will be doughy.
How Long Will Homemade Brioche Buns Last?
Now you have beautiful, homemade brioche buns to enjoy! So how long will they last? Well, just a couple of days really, so prepare to eat them up. Even though the tangzhong method helps homemade bread stay fresher for longer, these buns are made with no preservatives and so they last 2-3 days on the counter.
However, the dough can be frozen after being formed in the bun bowl before the last rise. Just wrap the bowl of dough securely in food wrap and freeze for up to 1 month. Be sure to mark the date on the outside to keep up with freshness.
Serving Up Homemade Comfort
Imagining that gourmet experience in your own kitchen yet? You should be. These delectable brioche buns are delicious and comforting at any time of the year.
- Try making scrumptious individual bread bowls by filling with soup or pasta.
- Add a deliciously homemade touch to burgers.
- Try homemade versions of popular burgers like the mushroom and swiss, jalapeno, or bacon and cheddar.
- Take sandwiches to the next level!
- Whether deli meat and cheese or chicken salad, these buns put average, every day sandwiches to shame.
- Try mini deep dish pizza buns.
- This is a fun idea for the kids to make with leftover buns that they just love getting to make and eat!
- Add extra fun to summer family cookouts
- Impress friends and coworkers at cookouts and gatherings.
- These are great whether you are hosting a cookout yourself or taking some to a friend’s gathering.
- Try topped with shredded oven baked chicken in colder months to bring some of the warmth of summer days to winter meals.
So final thoughts? These are just too yummy not to try out at your own dinner table or at the next family cookout! Whether it is warm weather or cold, these homemade giant brioche buns are the perfect comfort food. Fair warning though, you and your family will never think the same of those store-bought buns again!
Giant brioche buns
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine bread flour, milk, and water. Keep whisking until a smooth and thick mixture forms.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- In a glass bowl, combine warm milk, sugar, and yeast. Whisk everything. Cover with food plastic wrap and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, combine bread flour and salt.
- On low speed with the paddle attachment, slowly mix in yeast mixture.
- After combining, add tangzhong.
- Lastly, combine in eggs. Keep mixing on low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Change the stand mixer to the hook attachment. Start mixing on low speed and add butter in thirds.
- Continue kneading on low speed for 10 minutes until dough smooth and elastic.
- Transfer dough into a greased glass bowl. Cover first with a kitchen towel and after with food plastic wrap. Place a glass bowl on a heating pad for 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough.
- Lightly flour service and place their dough. With bash n' chop cutter, divide the dough into equal 8 pieces.
- Divided portions form into balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat.
- Cover with another baking sheet and place on the heating mat. Let it rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush buns with egg glaze.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter while hot. Sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds on top of the buns, or keep them plain.
- Transfer brioche buns to the cooling wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water.