This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Easy Royal Icing for Decorating Sugar Cookies
- In a large bowl, combine confectioner’s sugar and meringue powder.
- Add warm water, one spoon at a time, while mixing on low speed.
- Add vanilla extract, and continue mixing until the mixture is shiny.
- Mix at high speed and beat for 5-7 minutes, and add desired colors.
- Transfer to piping bag.
- For each color of icing, you need 2 different consistencies of icing. For a thinner consistency, add more water to the mixture. Thinner icings are used for flooding, and thicker icing is used for borders and edges.
- For thicker icing, cut the piping bag very thinly, around a 1/16 of and inch. For thinner icings, cut ⅛ of an inch. If this is too small, you can always cut more bag.
- After decorating cookies, dry the icing with a craft heat gun 10 inches away, so the flooded icing does not cave on itself.
- I like to let my cookies air dry in a cool space for 2 days, then they’re ready for packaging.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!