This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Italian Buttercream Frosting
Light Italian buttercream frosting for cakes and cupcakes
- Place the egg whites and ⅓ of the sugar a stand mixer bowl, and beat with a whisk attachment at medium-high speed, until the egg whites form soft peaks.
- Meanwhile, pour the remaining sugar and ⅓ cup water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Using a candy thermometer and not stirring, heat until 240F.
- Continue to whip the egg whites on medium-high speed, and slowly drizzle in the hot syrup, in between the side of the bowl and the beaters. Continue to whip until both the bottom of the bowl and the mixture are cool, or about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the mixture is thick and forming peaks, beat in the salt.
- While still beating, add the butter a few pieces at a time. As the butter is added, the buttercream will thin out until all of the butter is added.
- Beat in the vanilla extract. If the buttercream is still too loose, beat on high speed.
- Use right away, or refrigerate in an airtight container.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!