How to Make Cranberry Orange Muffins with Whole Cranberries
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
The muffins are a bit different than most muffins- while muffins are usually rich in more mellow flavors and berries, these cranberry muffins are very sweet and bursting with flavor. Topped with an orange glaze, these muffins are perfect for kids that prefer a healthy snack or dessert with a bit more flavor.
These muffins are also perfect to gift to friends and family- after baking, putting them into a plastic cupcake container will keep them fresh and make it easier to put into a festive box and gift to someone. The liners on these muffins are different from what I usually use, as they are paper tulip liners as opposed to metal liners. These liners are taller than usual liners, which prevents the batter from overflowing in the muffin pan while baking and also give the muffins a much more elegant look, which is perfect both on camera or as a gift.
After baking, these muffins can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. First, freezing the muffins on a cookie tray, then putting them into a Ziploc bag and placing the bag back into the freezer will keep the muffins fresh and ready to be reheated at any time. This is perfect for always having fresh muffins on-hand for surprise guests or a snack when you don’t have time to prepare and bake a whole batch.
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 2 Oranges
- 1 ¾ Cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 ½ cups Cranberries (Fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a 12 count muffin pan with nonstick spray, or line with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, or about 1 minute. Add the granulated and brown sugar and beat on high until creamed, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Ass the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract Beat on medium speed for 1 minute, then turn up to high speed until the mixture is combined and uniformly textured. Beat in the orange zest until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients mixture, and slowly mix with a whisk.
- Add the orange juice and milk, gently whisking until combined and uniformly textured. Fold in the cranberries with a spoon or spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling them all the way to the top. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F, then lower the temperature to 350F and bake for 18-20 more minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.